Pages

Wednesday 30 July 2014

Young Ambassador

It was an early start on that Monday morning, as I woke from a deep sleep to the sound of my Dad saying, "Danielle it's time to get up, your going to be late." As I rolled over in my bed still half asleep, knowing that my Dad would have woken me up ten minutes early than when I needed to, I thought about the day ahead, meeting The Brain Tumour Charity again, the other young people who will be at The Charity's Young Ambassador event and how I wished there were only more hours in the day so I could squeeze in a visit to see my friend, Georgia.

As I finally pulled all my energy together and sat on the edge of my bed only for a few seconds, I got up and began to get ready. I already had a list of things in my head that I needed to do that morning before we left for the airport. I had laid my make-up brushes and products out that I wanted to wear the night before, I also had my outfit ready to put on and two more top choices just in case I changed my mind, as well as jewellery and a handbag of course.

Once my Dad pulled up outside Belfast International Airport, Mum and I said our goodbyes. After we got through security inside the terminal we had time to spare for a coffee. Soon after our energy fix we were boarding the airplane and flying high in the sky to Birmingham. It freaks me out a bit when the air hostess says, "you have reached your final destination", while the plane is making its way to its "plane parking space". I've never seen any of the movies, "Final Destination", but a friend told me what happened in the one she saw, so whenever an air hostess says, "you have reached your final destination", it always reminds me of the scary movie.

We arrived early for the event at the hotel in Solihull, so my Mum and I had a tasty breakfast and checked up on Facebook and Twitter.

As the other young people slowly arrived, I finally met Emma who set up The Colin Nugent Fund in memory of her Dad who sadly passed away from a brain tumour last year. We were both looking forward to the day ahead and were very proud that we had been chosen along with fourteen others by The Brain Tumour Charity to be their Young Ambassadors.

The event soon began and started with a few ice breakers. The first ice breaker involved writing our name on a sticky label, along with the name of who we would be if we were going to a fancy dress party. Of course one of my ideas was a pug in honour of my pug called Harry, but after hearing what some of the others had chosen I went for my other idea which was Elizabeth Swan from Pirates of the Caribbean, one of my favourite Disney movies.

After lunch each Young Ambassador was presented with a The Brain Tumour Charity hoody and badge. We were called up one by one to the front of the room and presented with our gifts by the lovely Elissa, The Charity's children and families worker. As I received my hoody and badge, Emma took a few snaps of me receiving my gift. It was a proud moment when I received them, as I felt like a true Young Ambassador to The Charity.

Throughout the day we completed different activities to help us prepare for our awareness raising work, such as designing objects and scenes. For another activity special guest Jimmy from the BBC, gave an interactive session on media. Jimmy gave us tips on how to speak on radio and the different types of questions that the interviewer could ask us, to give us some practice. It was good use for me to brush up on what I've already learnt, as I've been on radio, television and in the newspaper numerous times since I was fifteen years old, since setting up The Brain Tumour Charity - Danielle McGriskin Fund.

Unfortunately I had to leave half way through the session with Jimmy, as it was time for my Mum and I to catch our flight home. As we were in the taxi on our way to the airport, I told Mum all about the day I had, how it was nice talking to other young people who had been affected by a brain tumour, sharing our stories and experiences, as well as the activities we had done and meeting Jimmy to prepare us for being a Young Ambassador.

Thank you to The Brain Tumour Charity for giving me this wonderful opportunity.



Danielle X

No comments:

Post a Comment