Pages

Sunday 1 December 2013

The Beginning of IMRT

Mum and I took the ferry from Dublin to Holyhead, so that we can have our car with us while we're in Bristol. The journey wasn't bad at all, I really enjoyed our road trip from N. Ireland to England.

On the ferry from Dublin to Holyhead.

We drove from Belfast to Dublin, then got a ferry from Dublin to Holyhead, where we then drove to Stratford-Upon-Avon and stayed the night at our friends house, we then drove from Stratford-Upon-Avon and finally arrived in Bristol. 

When Mum and I arrived in Holyhead I thought we were in England. I shared on my charity Facebook and Twitter page that we were in England, only for my Mum to let me know that we were actually in Wales! It just shows how good I am at Geography, especially as I took it for one of my GCSE subjects last year (I apologise to the welsh and also to my Geography teachers in school).

As my Mum and I were passing through Stratford-Upon-Avon on our way to Bristol, we had arranged with friends of ours to stop at their house for the night. It was lovely to see them and catch up, as we hadn't seen each other in quite a while. When we left our friends house to continue our journey to Bristol, we stopped at a lovely village in the Cotswolds. Mum and I ate at a traditional pub in the Cotswolds for Sunday lunch. I really loved the Cotswolds, especially the area that we visited. The buildings were from the Tudor times and they were beautiful, it was a pretty and quaint village.

At a traditional pub in the Cotswolds.

After our Sunday lunch, we were on the road again and finally arrived in Bristol. We got to the CLIC Sargent house late that evening, where we're staying while I receive treatment for Annie. I decided it was best to unpack all of our things and get organised that evening, especially as we had nothing else to do. I flopped on the bed with exhaustion from running up and down all the stairs in CLIC House, as our room is on the third floor which is the top floor, together with the tiredness from traveling by car for nearly two days.

The next day I had my verification appointment at BRI hospital, which I was very nervous about. During the appointment, I had a scan of my brain while I was wearing my mask and the radiographers also drew markings on it to show where the beams from the IMRT radiotherapy will enter my head (a bit like treasure mapping). I also wear this mask for my IMRT radiotherapy treatment, to keep my head in place and stop it from moving. The mask is uncomfortable, but I only wear it for my treatment which is around fifteen minutes each day (apart from weekends, Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day).  

When my Mum and I were leaving BRI hospital after my verification appointment, we were very confused and lost while we were in the hospital lift (yes we got lost while we were in the lift). We couldn't remember what floor we were on for my appointment and didn't know which floor to get off at as there are also two lower ground floors in the hospital. Finally with the help of a couple of kind people, we soon got off on the right floor. 

We came across a really cute looking tea shop in Bristol. We decided that we'd go in and have a 'cuppa', especially as we had the whole day free after I had my verification appointment. It was a geogrous vintage tea shop, which sold a whole range of teas. They also sold delicious looking cupcakes and cakes. My Mum and I both had tea (I had Earl Grey as it's my favorite) and we also had a scone each. Our tea and scones were served in china cups, saucers and plates. The china had different pretty patterns printed on them, such as flowers. The tea shop is called, The Tea Birds and is definitely worth popping in if you're in need of a nice cup of tea and sweet treat.

Me at The Tea Birds in Bristol.

The next day was day one of IMRT radiotherapy. Luckily my treatment was first thing in the morning, as I was extremely nervous about having the treatment and I was thinking about the side effects of having the treatment. I also thought about what will go right when I have the treatment and how it will help with the pain around my eyes and vision problems; although it will take a year or two before my tumour changes for the better after having the treatment (this is because my tumour is slow growing). 


Today Is Day 1 Of IMRT Radiotherapy.

When I have my radiotherapy, I get to listen to music while I'm receiving the treatment. The music is played out loud in the radiotherapy room so that I can listen to it. I keep forgetting to bring my iPod or iPhone with me so that I can listen to my own music, so I've just been listening to whatever music the radiographers have had. All the radiographers have been so kind and professional, it's nice to talk to other patients who are going through treatment whilst Mum and I wait for my appointment slot.

After my first day of treatment, my Mum and I drove to The Brain Tumour Charity. It may sound a bit mad driving two hours to Farnbourgh where The Brain Tumour Charity HQ is, but the side effects of treatment don't usually happen for two/three weeks once treatment has started; so Mum and I have been trying to do as much as we can while I'm feeling well enough. It was brilliant to see new and old faces at The Brain Tumour Charity and find out about some of their exciting upcoming fundraising events and research projects, as well as sharing my Fund's events too. 

The team and I from The Brain Tumour Charity.

On Friday, after I had treatment that morning, my Mum and I planned to fly home that afternoon to N. Ireland. This will be the only time that my Mum and I will be home until my treatment is finished in early January. I went to one of my best friends birthday party and my other best friends who I hadn't see in a while were there too. The party was held at the birthday girls house, which was great as we all got to chat and I got to catch up properly with all my friends.

On Saturday afternoon, my auntie and uncle came up from Fermangh to visit while I'm home for a very short while, it's been really nice to see them. 

My Mum and I fly back to Bristol Sunday evening. As I said, we won't be home until my treatment finishes which is early January. As my Mum and I won't be home for Christmas, my Dad and sister will be coming over to Bristol for Christmas. It will be different not being at home for Christmas and seeing our family and friends, but I'm sure we'll make the most of it and enjoy it as much as we can.


Danielle X

3 comments:

  1. Hi Danielle, you'll find it will go quite quickly I think, Mine did when I stayed in London for 6 weeks when having my radiotherapy this year. I cheered myself up by eating too much chocolate ;-). Hope all goes well m'dear *Hugs* XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, yes I found that week 1 went quite quickly and before I know it I'll be home in N. Ireland soon. :) I hope you're keeping well. Danielle X

      Delete
  2. Danielle, best wishes from Spain!

    ReplyDelete